Settlement Workers in Schools Program
The Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) program is a school-based outreach program aimed at helping eligible newcomer students (immigrants and refugees) and their families settle and integrate into their school and community. Services are provided throughout the Greater Victoria School Districts 61, 62 and 63.
Settlement workers can:
- Connect newcomer students and families to resources and essential services within the school and community.
- Support newcomer individuals and families in gaining an understanding of school culture and expectations.
- Organize group information sessions on school, diversity, cross-cultural understanding, and other topics to help students and families integrate into school and society.
- Facilitate culturally sensitive communication between school staff and families and encourage parent participation.
- Promote respect for diversity and encourage participation in school and community.
This program is FREE for eligible students and families. It is provided through an agreement between ICA, SD61,SD62 & SD63, and funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.