GVLIP Equity & Justice Resources
What do you do when you experience or witness hate? We have created several resources with useful information.
Community Response Protocol Against Racism and Hate
Discrimination and hate threaten the health, security, and well-being of our community and should be met with a united, agency-centred, and community-based response. The information in this document:
- aims to keep individuals safe and informed,
- emphasizes the agency of the person targeted by hate,
- provides clarity on what the legal protections are, and
- covers hate-motivated crimes, discrimination, racial and social profiling, hate on social media and internet platforms, hateful graffiti and vandalism, and, in a more limited fashion, microaggressions.
A list with local resources and organizations offering support is included. This resource is part of our work as a spoke in the Resilience BC – Anti-Racism Network.
These posters provide quick reference information in English, Chinese, Punjabi and Arabic.
This report shares the perceptions, experiences, and responses to racism by racialized residents in Greater Victoria. It is based on an online survey on racism in the community and a community dialogue conducted by the greater Victoria Local Immigration Partnership in late 2020.
• 71% of racialized respondents shared that they regularly experience racism in Greater Victoria and that this made them feel lonely and unsafe.
• More information on our work on anti-racism in the workplace can be found through our Anti-Racism At Work Campaign.
This study was designed to gather information from immigrant communities in Greater Victoria and the Vancouver area to gain deeper insight into the immigrant experience when navigating through serious legal problems.
Many immigrants expressed that their unfamiliarity with Canadian laws and rights together with the uncertainty that comes with the first years of living in a new country affected their readiness to respond to serious legal problems.
This presentation from Pathways to Prosperity 2022 also highlights the main take-aways from the report.