Settlement Workers in Schools
Settlement Workers in Schools is an outreach program aimed at helping eligible newcomer students (immigrants and refugees) and their families settle and integrate into their school and community. Services are provided throughout the Greater Victoria School Districts 61, 62 and 63.
How It Works:
Settlement workers assist newcomer students and families by:
- Connecting them to resources and essential services within the school and community
- Supporting them in gaining an understanding of school culture and expectations
- Organizing group information sessions on school, diversity, cross-cultural understanding, and other topics to help students and families integrate into school and society
- Facilitating culturally sensitive communication between school staff and families and encouraging parent participation
- Promoting respect for diversity and encouraging participation in school and community
This program is FREE for eligible students and families. It is provided through an agreement between ICA and participating school districts, and is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Lisa Wang, SWIS Coordinator
Phone:(250) 388-4728 ext. 131
Julia Zhou, SWIS Worker
Phone:(250) 388-4728 ext. 149