Sign up for our newsletter!

Get news from Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria in your inbox.

Sign up!

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada


FAQs: Download PDF – English Only
Frequently Asked Questions:

Learn English (LINC)

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) provides English language training from beginner to advanced levels for adult newcomers to Canada. LINC is funded by the Government of Canada and is FREE for eligible students.

1. I want to study English at ICA. What should I do? After registration at ICA, you can apply for LINC program. You need to take a language assessment. You will be put on the waiting list after the assessment. We will contact you when there is a space in a class.

2. How long will I wait? The wait time depends on your level of English and the time of day you want to study. The class might start right away, or you might wait for more than 6 months.

3. What is the class time and how many days per week?

Morning: (9 – 11:30 am) and afternoon (12:30 – 3 pm) classes are held five days a week, Monday to Friday.

Evening: (6 – 9 pm) classes are held two days a week, Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday.

4. Are there any online classes in the LINC program at ICA? Yes, there are online classes for some levels. They are held five days a week, from Monday to Friday, 9 – 11:30 am.

5. What will be an assessment like? You will be assessed in the four skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing during the assessment.

6. How long is the assessment and when can I get the result? The assessment might take 2 hours or more. You will have the result right after your test.

7. How can I study for the assessment?  You cannot study for the assessment because it checks your skills in general, not your knowledge of certain types of English.

8. Can I use the assessment report for work or a citizenship application? You need a LINC certificate or a CELPIP result for the citizenship application. If you are enrolling in some of ICA’s employment programs, they will ask for your assessment report.

9. Can I do assessment remotely? No. For the time being, all the assessments in the ICA LINC program are in person.

10. How long will it take to move to the higher level? On average, it takes 9 months or more to finish one level.

11. What can I do while waiting? You can study at other English training programs in town or study by yourself online. ICA also has some conversation workshops.

12. Are there other free or low-cost English schools in Victoria? Yes. Camosun College is another English school in Victoria that may be free.  Victoria Immigrant & Refugee Centre has low-cost classes.

13. While I am in class, will there be any holiday breaks? Yes, there are three breaks every year. They are during winter, spring, and summer.

14. Can I miss some classes? I need to work. Yes, but we do require a minimum level of attendance.

15. Do you have childcare services available? Yes, we have childcare services for LINC students. However, there is a long wait.

16. What will happen if I move out of Victoria? You can continue to study at another LINC provider that is near your new residence.

17. How many students in each class? There are 10-16 students in each class.

18. Do you use textbooks? No, teachers prepare materials based on the needs of their students. Students will receive a binder to organize their papers.

19. What’s the difference between ICA LINC class and Camosun ELD? LINC classes prepare you for everyday life in Canada, and Camosun ELD prepares students for post-secondary studies and teaches general English.

20. Are ICA’s class free? And do I need to buy anything? Yes, all the services at ICA are free. You should come prepared with paper, a pencil, and an eraser.

21. Can I take my kids to the assessment/class? No, kids are not allowed in classrooms.

Return to LINC Page

Immigrant Welcome Centre

From housing and education to employment services, ICA’s Settlement Services team can help newcomers navigate and connect with important resources and support.

Employment Services

Whether you are a newcomer to Canada or an immigrant who has been here for many years, our Employment Services team can assist with job search and skills training programs to help you find work in the Canadian job market.

About ICA

The purpose of the Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria (ICA) is to support the full integration of newcomer immigrants and refugees into the social, economic and civic life of the Capital Region of British Columbia.